Monday, May 20, 2019

Hello New Zealand!

This past week has been filled with mixed emotions. I’ll be totally honest! My thoughts:  I really want to go and serve the Lord but I really DON’T want to go and serve the Lord. Don’t be misled by this statement. I really do want to serve the Lord in all ways possible but I really didn’t like leaving my family. 

With medical training, it has been a week of preparing for the work I’ll do as a mission nurse and also filling every moment of time possible with family.



We had dinner every evening. We mostly had fast food because no one had time to prepare a meal for 20 or more people every night. 



I walked with my grandchildren at every opportunity and enjoyed the beautiful sunsets.








We talked and enjoyed each other’s company. 

My brother, John, came from Price.  John treated me to a pedicure. 

Friday a few of us attended the temple to do some sealings of family names before I left. We followed the temple with a fantastic dinner of lemongrass pork, teriyaki brisket, and sticky rice prepared by Jeff. Thank you Jeff for a  delicious and memorable meal!

I left Saturday afternoon for the airport with my flight leaving Salt Lake City at 5:55. 

Thank you to Tracy and Rex for helping me get my luggage in. Tracy drove around while Rex managed the luggage. 




I love our beautiful snow capped mountains. 





I arrived in Los Angeles and had time to go over to the international airport where I boarded a flight for Auckland leaving at 9:40.

I was extremely blessed on this 13 hour flight because it was not overly packed with passengers and also by a kind and compassionate steward who moved me from economy to economy premier. In this section of seats there were foot rests that elevated to make a flat “bed”.  I had 3 seats together and was able to lie down and sleep. 

I arrived in Auckland at 5:40 AM on Monday morning. Because of the time change I lost Sunday but I will gain it back on my way home.

First view of Auckland

I got through customs and collected one of my suitcases. However, the other suitcase didn’t arrive with me.  I then spent 45 minutes with a lady who assured me that the suitcase that didn't make it would come at some point. 

I was picked up by Elder and Sister Packard. She has been the acting nurse as the previous nurse left a few months ago. They took me to their apt where Sister Packard began to tell me about what I needed to know to become familiar with the work I’ll do here at the mission. 

At 9:00 we left for a zone conference in an area about 45 minutes from where I’ll be living. I love the mission field!!  I’m happy that I was able to get right to work!!

Zone Conference Lunch

After lunch, Elder and Sister Lewis took me to my apt in Takapuna. It is a very nice area and my apt is roomy and light. 

Auckland skyline
 My apartment.





The Lewis’s took me to the mission office to show me around. 

Mission office

Map of mission

My first kiwi

From the office we went to a store where I could get my cel phone and internet set up and from there to the beach on the Pacific side of the island. 







We went grocery shopping so that I would have some food in my apartment. The Lewis’s treated me royally!

I’ve managed to stay up all day so I’m looking forward to a good nights rest in a nice bed as I am very tired. It was great meeting with some of the missionaries and getting to know them briefly. I look forward to meeting more of the missionaries and getting to know them on a more personal level.

I am so blessed to be able to serve in this beautiful country. The people are warm and friendly.

I’ll have more to share with you next week. I love my Savior and I love you my family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. I love you SP!! That view from your room....to die for! I'm praying for you and thinking of you all. the. time.

    ReplyDelete