Monday, August 7, 2017

Being with New York Friends & a visit from Deanne, Rory & Jenna

This has been a week of being with New York friends as much as possible.

Monday I went to Bay Shore out on Long Island to go to an eye exam with a missionary.  We enjoyed lunch at Chili's afterward.  Very nice young men!


Elders Thompson and Joseph

Then since I was so close I drove to Patchogue to see some sisters there.

Monday evening was our last FHE with the senior couples.  They treated me to dinner at Olive Garden.  What a wonderful group of friends I have gained here.  Each of them is unique in their talents and abilities and the work they do here in the mission.  I know that the mission wouldn't function as it does without the help and service of the senior missionaries.  I love these people.  We will be friends forever!




Tuesday I went to Oceanside for lunch with Sisters Albanese and Nelson.  Beautiful day, good food, and gorgeous sisters.


Sisters Nelson and Albanese

  I love salad!!!

I love desserts to go with the salad. I even shared!!

Tuesday evening, I invited the elders and sisters in my area to come by for cookies and then while they were here, I opened my pantry and invited them to go "shopping."  The new nurse won't be here until the end of September and the apartment will not be air conditioned so I thought that rather than leave things like cereal, for example, I would rather give it to people who could use it now.  It was fun to watch them go through things and get what they wanted.

Wednesday was trainer/trainee meeting to orient and welcome the new missionaries.  I love these days!


Sisters Amaro and Stubbs

Sisters Bingham and Tew stopped by The Ice Castle (my apartment) for a quick hello.
They needed to wrap in a blanket to keep their teeth from chattering.

After the meeting I spent the evening going through my closets and cupboards trying to get rid of the things I have that I won't be bringing home.  I baked the last of the cookie dough I had in the refrigerator and had the missionaries stop by again.

Thursday Deanne, Rory, and Jenna came.  Let the fun begin!!


Rory was worn out after her plane ride.

Of course the first required stop after arriving in NYC is the French Bakery Artisan Workshop.
Duke anyone?

Rory exploring her new toys in Grandma's aptartment


Friday late morning we headed off to Fire Island Lighthouse.  It rained with lightning and thunder during the night and into the early morning, but by the time we left for the island, it had cleared up except for the "muggy" air. Humidity is not friendly!



Had one incident I am not proud to report.  In entering a round-about on one of the islands, I looked back to make sure I could change lanes.  Looking back for one second is all that it took.  My left front bumper glanced off the right rear bumper of a car coming around the round-about also changing lanes.  Needless to say, it wasn't a great way to start the day, but as I reminded myself throughout the day, accidents happen.  I am most embarrassed about it though.  I am blessed that it was really minor and no one was injured.  My car received the worst damage.





After waiting for an hour for the police, we went on to Fire Island and a fun day at the lighthouse and beach.  The water was warm.  I was looking forward to a cool dip in the ocean but it was way warmer than I wanted.



The three specs at the lower edge of the light house are my family.


Rory loved it.  I thought she would be frightened. I have seen children her age (1-year-old on Aug 2nd) and older terrified of the ocean.  She is so cute.






We stopped at Kilwins in Babylon for chocolate to soothe my car-accident feelings.  Sorry.  We ate it all before I got pics.  Couldn't wait!!!

Friday evening we ate empanadas and tacos.  The missionaries have told me ever since I arrived that I needed to eat empanadas at Mama's by the mall and that the tacos next door to Mama's were also good.  It was a little late when we got home so we opted to try out the recommendations.  It was good!


Beef in corn shell, chicken fajita, and Polish (Polish sausage and kraut)


Saturday I needed to take some medication to a missionary on Long Island so we packed up and drove to Plainview.  After the medication was dropped off, we headed to Hallelujah Praise the Lord Automotive so that Joseph could give me an appraisal on repairing my car.  He assured me that it could be done in two days once the insurance gives approval.  No structural or motor compartment damage at all; just the hood and front bumper.  Whew!

After getting that taken care of, we went to Mizumi for late lunch/early dinner.  A large group of people were near our table celebrating the birthday of a cute 100 year old woman.  We joined in with the singing of Happy Birthday.  It was fun.  Deanne assures me that when I turn 100, my family will celebrate with me!!  I am so lucky!!!



Happy birthday

Top right plate had:  Beef bulgogi, Korean beef short rib, 
Seafood Rangoon, Bacon wrapped shrimp, JalapeƱo, Panko fried shrimp, Honey sesame chicken,  
Gyosa veg/ pork. Bottom right picture is assorted Asian salads

Rory had been in her car seat most of the day so after dinner we returned to my apartment and walked to Juniper Park where Rory could get some climbing, swinging, and running around time.




We stopped at Steve's Pizza for a yummy calzone and pizza.  Beautiful day.

Sunday was a tender day at church again. The activity day girls brought me a bouquet of flowers and hugs.  Such wonderful opportunities I have enjoyed here.  I have many cherished memories.



I have been asked what I have learned or what has brought me blessings on my mission.  My basket of blessings over flows but I know that one thing for certain is that service brings happiness.

I was reading an article the other day about service from the May 2008 Ensign given by Carols H Amado.  Some thoughts I wish to share from that article:
"Service makes us strong in our faith and useful in His kingdom. Service gives us purpose and courage in life. It brings us closer to God and helps us refine our divine nature. It teaches us to love and understand our fellowmen, and it helps us forget about our personal desires, eliminating selfishness, pride, and ingratitude. It teaches us to think of the needs of others, which allows us to develop the virtues that the Savior possesses. Kindness, love, patience, understanding, and unity will increase as we serve, while intolerance, jealousy, envy, greed, and selfishness decrease or disappear. The more we give of ourselves, the more our capacity to serve, understand, and love will grow. Those who serve will always seek to please God and live in harmony with Him. They will be full of peace; they will have a cheerful countenance and a spirit of kindness."
If you would like to read the entire talk you may do so here.

I know that service does bring happiness.  I felt it in myself as I have served this mission and I see it daily in the lives of all of the missionaries.

I look forward to seeing you my family and friends. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment