Monday, July 17, 2017

Farewell Dinner, Tick Repellant, & Charity

Wow!  I just realized that I only have 4 more Sundays in New York!!  My heart is breaking at the thought but I am excited to be with my family and friends at home at the same time.  Talk about mixed emotions…  I'm sure I've said this in the last post.  You need to hear it again.

Monday I walked down the sidewalk by my apartment.  I couldn't help but admire the beautiful flowers even though they are technically weeds.  The violet colored flower is prolific in many areas along the roadways.  I wish I knew what it is.  For a "weed" it is most beautiful.


On my walk Monday morning:  This tree is actually standing upright.
I took the pic at a strange angle because I liked the plants and lichen growing on the bark.

Flowering weeds

On my Tuesday morning walk I had to admire these beauties.

Love the colors

Tuesday was transfer day.  I was invited to the mission home for the departing dinner and devotional since I won't be here when the transfer occurs in August.  I haven't been to the mission home for the last two departing dinners.  I had other things that prevented me from going to help.  This time I was there as a departing "guest."

I bid some tearful farewells (or until we see each other again) to wonderful young people whom I love and who have completed their missions and are now moving on to the next chapter in their lives.  I am blessed to know these people.



It was pouring rain but Sister Reynolds went on undaunted.


Along with regular nursing duties, I have been working this week on getting Permethrin which is a tick repellant that is sprayed on clothing.  Also obtaining Off Deep Woods spray for ticks/mosquitos.  Our mission was asked to make this available to all missionaries.  I spent Monday and Wednesday shopping online and trying to find the best deal available.  Finally ordered the Permethrin from the distribution center along with spray bottles as it comes only in concentrate form. 

Thursday I took two sisters to lunch in Astoria.  We went to a Thai restaurant.  It was good but I like the restaurant close to my apartment better.


Sisters Panoussi and Kim

Tho kha gai soup, salad, egg roll

Green curry, pad Thai, and massaman curry

Thai Elephant Restaurant

Saturday after some failed attempts at ordering the Off at Walmart online, I went to the nearest Walmart in person.  After a 9 mile drive which took 45 minutes, I was told they have no way to order in the store; online is the only way.  I was just a little frustrated.  I thought about going to Target which I walk to from my apartment but before going I decided to try calling them first.  I was told that they couldn't order it either.  It can only be done online.  The most I could order at Target is 3 at a time online anyway.


The reason it took 45 minutes to drive 9 miles.

(Last week I found the Off at Home Depot on line for $3.33 for a 6 oz can.  I didn't order it that night because I wanted to make sure I couldn't get it cheaper elsewhere.  The next day, I decided it was a good deal but when I went to order it, the price was $5.27.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I went to Home Depot and asked about it and was told that it was a 4th of July special and the special was over.  I couldn't get it for the cheaper price)

After my fiascos at Walmart and Target, I decided to order the Off online through Home Depot even though it was a bit more costly than Walmart and Target because I was getting nowhere with those companies. 

I kept running into glitches when I tried to order 100 cans.  In frustration, I drove back to the Home Depot nearest to me where I went last week.  I was told they only had 89 cans but the store in Flushing had 243 cans.  I drove to Flushing and got my Off Deep Woods Spray.


Flushing is an area of Queens that has a large Chinese population.
The Home Depot in Flushing is just like every other Home Depot I have been in except for the signs.


After going to Walmart and two targets I was relieved to have the "ordeal" accomplished.

Saturday afternoon, Anthea Pierre treated me to a Painting adventure in Long Island City.  We had so much fun laughing and painting.  She is a hoot!


Anthea Pierre


The chorister sustained three weeks ago to replace me in Primary has been out of town the past two weeks.  Today she came to Primary and resigned.  I told the Primary president that I will be leaving in four weeks so I feel bad.  Hopefully they will be able to find a chorister soon.

Last night I was studying Moroni 7.  In this chapter Moroni recounts a sermon given by his father, Mormon on the topic of faith, hope, and charity. It is one of the "most tightly woven and forceful sermons in the Book of Mormon" on this topic. In the study guide I am using, it was pointed out that "the topic was particularly poignant in its context ----Mormon has been killed by the Lamanites, and Moroni was the solitary survivor, recording these words out of his own generosity of spirit.   We can also imagine that Moroni is rereading this sermon to strengthen his own faith hope, and charity---a topic Moroni addresses in his concluding words in the Book of Mormon."

I love this chapter.  I want to share a couple of things from the study guide that stood out to me.  A question is posed:  What is the relationship between faith and hope?   "It is certainly much more than wishful thinking.  It is to have 'hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise'.  That is the theological meaning of hope in the faith-hope-charity sequence.  With an eye to that meaning, Moroni 7:42 then clearly reads, 'If a man have faith [in Christ and his atonement] he must needs [as a consequence] have hope [in the promise of the Resurrection, because the two are inextricably linked]; for without faith [in Christ's atonement] there cannot be any hope [in the Resurrection]"   (Holland, Christ and the New Covenant, 334-335).

Another question:  What is charity?  "Charity is "the highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection; the pure love of Christ.  It is never used [in the scriptures] to denote alms or deeds of benevolence, although it may be a prompting motive."

This part I really like.  "This love is more than just a willingness to share time or possessions with another human being; rather, it is a deep and lasting devotion for and to God and his Son.  Thus, more than an act, charity is an attitude, a state of heart and mind that accompanies our works and is proffered unceasingly."

"The purpose of charity is not merely to cause a proper motivation for charitable acts toward other people….The ultimate purpose is to make Christ's followers like him....We can give without loving, but we cannot love without giving."

I love learning about my Savior.  I love knowing that he is my Redeemer.  I am blessed because of the Savior.  As I sat in Sacrament Meeting today preparing to receive the sacrament, the hymn we sang brought tears to my eyes:

Reverently and Meekly Now

1. Rev'rently and meekly now,
Let thy head most humbly bow.
Think of me, thou ransomed one;
Think what I for thee have done.
With my blood that dripped like rain,
Sweat in agony of pain,
With my body on the tree
I have ransomed even thee.

2. In this bread now blest for thee,
Emblem of my body see;
In this water or this wine,
Emblem of my blood divine.
Oh, remember what was done
That the sinner might be won.
On the cross of Calvary
I have suffered death for thee.

3. Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be
E'en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit's grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee.

4. At the throne I intercede;
For thee ever do I plead.
I have loved thee as thy friend,
With a love that cannot end.
Be obedient, I implore,
Prayerful, watchful evermore,
And be constant unto me,
That thy Savior I may be.

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment