Monday, January 16, 2017

There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today

There Is Sunshine in My Soul Today.  I woke up this morning to a beautiful, sunny day and found myself singing this song.   We live in a glorious world.  What a wonderful gift from our Savior and Father in Heaven!!

1.   There is sunshine in my soul today,
More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my light.

(Chorus)
Oh, there's sunshine, blessed sunshine
When the peaceful happy moments roll.
When Jesus shows his smiling face,
There is sunshine in the soul.
2.    There is music in my soul today,
A carol to my King,
And Jesus listening can hear
The songs I cannot sing.

3.    There is springtime in my soul today,
For when the Lord is near,
The dove of peace sings in my heart,
The flow'rs of grace appear.

4.    There is gladness in my soul today,
And hope and praise and love,
For blessings which he gives me now,
For joys "laid up" above.

It doesn't matter the season, the temperature, nor the dark sky if the light of Christ shines in our souls.  We can be grateful and happy for everything we have as it all comes from the Lord.

This reminded me of a favorite talk given by President Uchtdorf in October 2015 general conference.  A good portion of his talk is this story, Great-Aunt Rose, which I enjoyed and love. (The story begins at 1:42).





This story touched me when I heard President Uchtdorf tell it in his conference address and it touches me today.  We can make a choice to be happy.  We can make a choice to be the best we can be.  We can make a choice to make Jesus Christ the center of our lives and thereby find true happiness.

This has been another busy, BUSY week.  It seems I spend much of my day at my desk texting and talking.  One morning I realized I got up, got to the computer to answer a question that came as a call, and 45 minutes later realized I hadn't eaten, studied my scriptures, exercised nor taken a shower and I still had a list of things that should have been done 20 minutes ago!!  Not complaining.  Just telling you how I came up with my newest exercise routine.

After sitting at the computer for so long, I began to think of the exercise I wasn't getting.  I decided that while I am talking on the phone, I really don't always have to be in front of the screen so I began to walk from my front windows to my bed and back and forth.  I should count the steps one way, but let me tell you, one call when I was discussing some things with the area medical advisor, our call lasted 1897 steps.  Now I look at my calls in steps rather than minutes.  Another day I had 2739 steps before I even left the house to go to lunch with some sisters.  I'm going to patent this idea.

Tuesday was temple day for some of the missionaries so as you already know, I have the joy of spending the day with the companions of the sisters if they choose to come to my apartment. We had lunch and played Monopoly Deal. (So you see, not every minute/step is spent working.)


Tuesday was preparation day so all of these sisters were writing family and friends.

Sisters Tarnasky, Figaro, Fields, Johnston, Panoussi. Lunch at Pio Pio (Peruvian food)

Thursday I had lunch with Elder and Sister Lilly and Sister Albanese.  They came to the office to do some work and for an appointment.




Friday was Sister Bush's birthday.  The district tricked her into a surprise party at the church.  Sister Bush is from Hawaii so it was a Hawaiian themed party.  Then on Saturday, we went to Olive Garden for lunch for a continued celebration.



Sisters Bush and Staker

Hawaiian pizza

The Spanish speaking district


On our way to Olive Garden

Sunday is always a great day.  Our Primary is larger now that the boundaries have been changed.  I believe we had close to 30 children attend Sunday so our size has doubled.  I am trying to teach them a new song.  They are usually good to learn but they were off the walls on Sunday.  That is a challenge to get them to participate when the air is charged with electricity.  I love them anyway!

Sunday dinners are a treat for me.  Elder Peters will be going home on the 24th for so the English speaking elders came this Sunday.  I have decided I don't have room for all of them every Sunday so I will alternate the English and Spanish speaking elders.  The sisters are here every week along with the Williams.



Elder Reese, Elder and Sister Williams, Sisters Dos Santos, Staker, Bush, and Talaboc,
Elders Asplund, Peters, and Christie.

Elder Peters with his fingers in the air said the blessing on the food in his native language: Dutch.
He will be going home to the Netherlands and he is trying to remember how to speak his language
so he practiced on us. I love it!!

One of the sister training leaders asked me if I ever get stressed or anxious.  I replied that it rarely happens.  She asked what I do to keep from getting that way.  I told her that I cook.  Cooking and baking are my go-to fun things to do.  I get a lot of pleasure from making food and feeding people.  It makes me happy.

I pray that you will have happiness in your life. I testify that by following the teachings of Jesus Christ and trying to live a Christ centered life will always bring happiness even through trials.

I love you my family and friends.


The elders like to come test their blood pressure with my wrist
sphygmomanometer.  Boys and toys...

Elders Christie and Reese

No comments:

Post a Comment