Monday, May 23, 2016

"He'll throw down His rope"

It has been a fairly quiet week.  On Monday I took some sisters to lunch at Mizumi.  I had the usual plate of sushi and other delicious edibles.  I tried skate wing. I was a little skeptical at first but it was delicious.  Then being curious, I looked up a picture of the fish.  Not really appetizing in appearance but it was good to eat.  And of course, being near The French Workshop Artisan Bakery, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to eat a Duke.  One of the sisters tried a Crunchie.  She said it was really delicious so I may try that if I am ever in the area again.



Skate wing

Tuesday was transfer day so I was at the Mission Home to help Anthea with the dinner and laundry.  I am ever in awe at the departing missionaries.  The testimony meeting is spiritual beyond description.  There were 5 sisters and 4 elders leaving this week. 

Departing missionaries



It is always interesting to see where people are transferred and who has new companions.  Sister Jenkins from upstairs was transferred to Little Neck so I have a new "roommate."  Sister Zambito is German but has most recently lived in England where her family is now.  She is a delight. She and Sister Anderson will do great work together.  Poor Sister Zambito has been in a car area for most of her mission so she comes home every night with aching, sore feet.

Silly Sisters Anderson and Jenkins the night before transfers


Sisters Zambito and Anderson

Tuesday night after I dropped of Anthea in Jamaica, I pulled to the side of the road to take a call.  There was a car parked in front of me so in order to drive off when I was finished with my call, I had to back up. I don't know what I backed over, but I felt a sharp bump which abruptly stopped me.  I was far enough from the other car so without thinking about it, I drove off onto the expressway.  About halfway home, I noticed the "low tire" icon light was lit on my dash.  It was 10:00 at night and I didn't want to be on the side of the expressway alone so I just kept driving.  It was a rear tire so I could steer with no problem. About a mile or two from home, I could feel that the rear end was a little squishy, if that is a good description.

When I pulled into my driveway and parked, I had a completely flat tire on the right rear.  Before I left Salt Lake, I had my car checked over.  The inspection person said my tires were ok but that I may want to get new ones before winter.  I hadn't bought new tires so it was time to replace all of the tires.

The next day a couple of the elders put on the spare doughnut tire and I went off to get new tires.  A good thing to have done.  In the future, I will be more observant when I pull off to the side of the road to take a call.

The rest of the week has been routine.  It seems I spend more time talking/texting that the average person but it is rewarding to interact with these marvelous missionaries. 

Friday I went grocery shopping and did laundry.  (I am very lucky to have a washer and dryer in the basement so I don't have to go to the laundromat.)  The garden in front of my apartment was beginning to fill with weeds again so in the evening, I cleaned out the weeds and groomed the area.

Saturday, I walked to the fruit/vegetable stand a few blocks away for grapes, strawberries and other fruits and vegetables they might have.  The man in the wheelchair that sells flowers by the fruit stand had marigolds.  Reminded me of Kay.  He always liked to plant marigolds along the sidewalk by the garage.  I decided that since I had cleaned out the garden area in front of my apartment, I would plant some marigolds in remembrance of Kay.  It was fun planting.  Brought back the memories of planting 50 bazillion tomatoes, peppers, cabbages, squash, etc. in our garden every year.  I thought about planting a tomato and pepper plant here but I decided that the marigolds will do.




First roses of the season. I like the lighter green of the new growth

I have missed my family a lot this week.  I know that they have many programs, graduation, games, difficult times, and other things that I am not there to join in with them and to support them.  I think of them often and want them to know that I am with them in thought and with all the love of my being. 

Again this week in my studies and interactions with people, I've thought a lot about the illnesses both physical and mental that people have (not just missionaries), the trials that come our way, and the losses and miseries that people bear.  I know that I often talk about the Atonement.  I read a quote by Elder Bednar that I like:  "Most of us clearly understand that the Atonement is for sinners.  I am not so sure, however, that we know and understand that the Atonement is also for saints--for good men and women who are obedient, worthy, and conscientious and who are striving to become better."

This is a comforting thought to me.  I find peace in knowing my Savior knows me and understands the difficulties that come my way.  He will and does help me in every way and in everything I do.  He will help you too.  Sister Anderson gave me a poem that I want to share with you.
"Holes"
by Robbie Pierce

I'd been in that hole for a very long time -
In the dark and the damp, in the cold and the slime.
The shaft was above me; I could see it quite clear,
But there's no way I ever could reach it from here.
Nor could I remember the world way up there,
So I lost all my hope and gave into despair.

I knew nothing but darkness, the floors, and the walls,
When from off in the distance I heard someone call,
"Get up! Get ready! There's nothing the matter!
Take rocks and take sticks and build up a fine ladder."
This had never occurred to me, had not crossed my mind,
So I started to stack all the stones I could find.

When I ran out of stones, the old sticks were my goal,
For some way or another I'd get out of that hole.
So I soon had a ladder that was really quite tall,
And I thought, "I'll soon leave this place once and for all!"
Then I climbed up my ladder, it was no easy chore -
For from lifting those boulders my shoulders were sore.

So I worked and I climbed and at last had to stop,
For my ladder stopped short - some ten feet from the top.
I climbed back down the ladder and felt all around,
But there were no more boulders nor sticks to be found.
I went back to my ladder and started to cry.
I'd done all I could do; I gave my best try.

But in spite of my work, in this hole I must die,
And all I could do was to sit and think, "Why?"
Was my ladder too short? Or my hole much too deep?
Then from way up on high came a voice: "Do not weep."
And then hope, love, and faith entered my chest,
As the voice said to me that I'd done my best.

He said, "Nothing's the matter. There's reason to hope.
Just climb up your ladder; I'll throw down my rope.
You have worked very hard, and your labor's been rough,
But the ladder you've built is at last tall enough."
I climbed up the ladder, then climbed up the cord.
When I stood at the top, there stood the Lord.

I've never been happier; my struggle was done.
I blinked in the brightness that came from the Son.
I fell to the ground; his feet did I kiss.
I cried, "What can I do to repay thee for this?"
He looked all around Him - there were holes in the ground.
They had people inside, and were seen all around
.
There were thousands of holes that were damp, dark, and deep.
Then the Lord turned to me and He said, "Feed my sheep."
Then He went on His way to help other lost souls.
And I got right to work, calling down to the holes,
"Get up! Get ready! There's nothing the matter!
Take rocks and take sticks and build up a fine ladder!"

It now was my turn to spread the good word.
The most glorious message that man ever heard.
That there's One who is willing to save one and all,
And we've got to be ready when He gives the call.
He'll pull us all out of the hole that we're in,
And save all our souls from death and from sin.

So do not lose faith; there is reason to hope:
Just build up your ladder; He'll throw down His rope.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true.  The Book of Mormon contains all that we need to know to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven and to be happy in this life.  I'm grateful to be a member of the restored church of Jesus Christ and for the gift of the Holy Ghost given to me when I was baptized.

I love you my dear family and friends.

Elders Peters, Opfar, Adams, Carter

Some sisters brought me this plaque because of my "chocolate" notoriety

This man was short but his turban was not short.

Manhattan in the sunset

Love these brilliant pansies

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that poem and your sweet testimony. You are a wonderful example to all.

    ReplyDelete