Monday, April 4, 2016

It's Tick Season, "The Duke", & Baptisms

From looking at the pictures in this blog, you will think that all I've done this week is eat and play.  Well, you would be mostly correct.

It has been fairly quiet on the medical front.  A few routine things and a few not so routine but on the whole, the missionaries are working hard and preparing for transfers and departures and arrivals.  Transfer day is next Tuesday.  Everyone is buzzing about who will be trainers, who will be transferred, who will do this, and who will do that.  They have to deep clean their apartments in case they are transferred.  They are all too busy to be sick. Makes me happy."

Silly Sister Buging




Sister Fouts

Sisters Jenkins and Bush

Zone 4 Spanish speaking district:
Left to right: Elders Nielson and Peña, Sisters Anderson and Jenkins, Elders Corzo and Nixon

However, the "tick season" officially began at 6:28 A.M. on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 with a frantic call from a missionary because his companion had a tick attached to an unmentionable spot. What to do??  After I got up off the floor from my laughing attack, I proceeded to give step by step directions for tick removal.   Don't worry, the elders were laughing too except for maybe the one who had the tick bite.  Looks like my tick handout and presentation at Zone Conferences won't be too soon.

I had visitors (sister missionaries) come to my apartment to spend time on two different days.  Their companions were either in meetings or at the temple (departing missionary temple day).  I enjoy taking them to lunch as it gives me the opportunity to treat them and to get to know them on a more personal level than just when they call because they are sick or have questions.  It helps me to bond.  (And I get to eat out.)


Going home lunch celebration for Sister Ewell.
Left to right: Sister Ewell, Sister Dawson, Sister Krause.

Left to right: Sister Bandeaux, Sister Lewis, Sister Jones

I went to Staten Island again this week.  The sister whom I took a few weeks ago for a CT scan had to return because the scan wasn't done properly.  She lives in Flushing and that is a long way for her and her companion to go by public transportation. I didn't get to see the turkeys this time but it was a fun drive even though there was road construction and slow, crawling slow, traffic.  Gave us time to chat and to learn about each other.  All of the missionaries know I am a chocoholic.  The sisters told me about a new bakery that sells the most delicious chocolate dessert, the Duke, that one could imagine.  I thought they were teasing me with the name.  A member had taken them there. 

After our long journey home from Staten Island, it was dinner time.  We decided that we would eat dessert first.  I just couldn't wait!!  The Duke (real name) was all they touted it to be and more.  I'm addicted.  Good thing I am not close to The French Workshop Artisan Bakery in Flushing!!  After we ate dessert we thought we should eat something a bit healthier so we opted for sushi, salad, and miso soup.  The sushi was good but in retrospect, I wish I had just gone for a second Duke or maybe a third.


The French Workshop

This is to die for yumminess!!!!

Presentation of Duke

Gold from the plate to lips.
Sister Seo and Sister Fitt



Sushi dinner

California roll, spicy salmon roll, and shrimp roll.

Sunday morning before conference session began, I attended the baptism of my bishop's son.  It brought back memories of attending baptisms of my sweet grandchildren and of when I was Primary president and again when I was teaching the 7 turning 8 years old class.  Each time this occasion comes for me, it is a wonderful opportunity to review my own baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost and confirmation of my membership in the Church.

I was baptized and confirmed in the St. George Temple and then was able to do two baptisms for the dead immediately afterward.  I don't know if my dad knew someone or if it was common to have this blessing but however it happened, it will always be a day I will remember.  I know that at the time I didn't appreciate what a great opportunity it was for me.  I think I remember being frightened and overwhelmed by the temple, but in retrospect, I was and still am most blessed to have received this lifesaving ordinance in the House of the Lord.

Then to be able to end this Sabbath morning with words from President Monson, our prophet, and to learn from the apostles and other Church leaders is truly a divine gift.


Watching conference with the sisters. Sister Anderson freezes because I keep my apartment so cold!
I know I'm weird because I like the cold but Sister Jenkins thinks cold is better than hot too!

I love being a daughter of God, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a sister, a friend,  a missionary and all of the roles that I am favored to hold.  I count myself honored to be here at this time in my life.

I love you my family and friends.


Unfortunately- or fortunately- depending on how you look at it,
I found this bakery way too close to my apartment.

Way to close bakery options. I did not indulge! I only drooled.
My will power is weakening though......

Saturday morning it was raining but I determined to walk anyway. This man in the wheelchair
sells flowers and sometimes other things such as hats and scarves but mostly flowers.  He is set up
next to the subway entrance/exit a few blocks from my apartment. He usually sits out close to his wares
but today he was close to the building to get out of the rain. Unless it is very early or very late,
he is always there:  Rain, snow, cold, hot, or windy.  I always try to at least say hi. I have purchased
a few things from him. I admire him for doing what he can to provide for himself. Someone told me
he was in a car accident and has been in a chair since his teens. Not sure if this is true.

Not everyone can say they've had their finger on top of the spire of World Trade Center.
-From my trip with Cicilee in August 2015.

I like the juxtaposition of the Brooklyn Bridge and the World Trade Center.

One World Trade Center (also known as 1 World Trade Center, One WTC and 1 WTC; the current building was dubbed the "Freedom Tower" during initial base work) is the main building of the rebuilt World Trade Center complex in Lower Manhattan, New York City. It is the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere, and the sixth-tallest in the world. The supertall structure has the same name as the North Tower of the original World Trade Center, which was completely destroyed in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The new skyscraper stands on the northwest corner of the 16-acre (6.5 ha) World Trade Center site, on the site of the original 6 World Trade Center. The building is bounded by West Street to the west, Vesey Street to the north, Fulton Street to the south, and Washington Street to the east.

The building's architect was David Childs, whose firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) also designed the Burj Khalifa and the Willis Tower. The construction of below-ground utility relocations, footings, and foundations for the new building began on April 27, 2006. One World Trade Center became the tallest structure in New York City on April 30, 2012, when it surpassed the height of the Empire State Building. The tower's steel structure was topped out on August 30, 2012. On May 10, 2013, the final component of the skyscraper's spire was installed, making the building, including its spire, reach a total height of 1,776 feet (541 m). Its height in feet is a deliberate reference to the year when the United States Declaration of Independence was signed. The building opened on November 3, 2014.

On March 30, 2009, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) confirmed that the building would be officially known by its legal name of "One World Trade Center", rather than its colloquial name of "Freedom Tower". The building is 104 standard floors high, but the tower has only 94 actual stories.

The new World Trade Center complex will eventually include five high-rise office buildings built along Greenwich Street, as well as the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, located just south of One World Trade Center where the original Twin Towers stood. The construction of the new building is part of an effort to memorialize and rebuild following the destruction of the original World Trade Center complex.


Flowers from my morning walk and these purple pansies followed me home from Stop & Shop
so I put them on my front porch to greet me as I leave and return. Brightens my day and makes me smile.

This came up as my screen saver today. I hated to open my computer it was so beautiful.

1 comment: