Tuesday, February 16, 2016

"Remember in all things the poor and the needy"

Because of the weather and other obligations, our morning walks have been sporadic.  Monday morning, Sister Prince and I decided that we would walk regardless of the weather.  It had snowed Sunday evening/night and we were concerned about the slick sidewalks and the stairs and bridge over the train tracks but vowed to at least try it.  Sister Prince showed up at my door with a pair of snow cleats that her daughter had sent to Elder Prince.  He didn't want them so she brought them to me.  She had her own pair so we set off to conquer the hills and walks of Rego Park and Middle Village.  It was actually fun!! Reminded me of our ice fishing days and moon boots with traction.  Nothing slowed us down.  Not even the icy patches!  Mind you, we were careful.

Ice cleats

The apartments in the mission have to be inspected on a regular basis to make sure that the missionaries are living in safe environments.  The senior couple over housing has their plates full, so the other seniors are called in to help.  There are 11 zones.  Some couples inspect 2 zones.  I had only Zone 4 to inspect but since I can't go into the elders' apartments alone, Sister Reynolds, the Mission President's wife, accompanied me.  It was a fun day. I had never been into any of the other apartments.  I was pleased and surprised at the good places the missionaries have.   They knew we were coming so I'm sure they were extra clean for the inspection but it was a nice surprise.  A couple of apartments had smoke alarms that needed battery replacements, air leaking in around an air conditioner, and missing light bulbs but other than that there were no major problems. 

I've had some interesting cases to work on this week.  I obviously can't go into details too much but cardiac arrhythmia, ducts in the eyes blocked so I learned about a new procedure called Lipiflow to unblock the ducts, headaches and MRI, shoulder/neck pain, back pain, and the usual number or maybe a few more than usual colds, sinus infections, coughs, and nausea and its friends.  I've been pretty busy!

The cold weather we have had this week has given me pause to think about the people who live on the streets.  When I opened my blinds on Thursday morning, there was a homeless man with his shopping cart and his cardboard-box-home just in front of my apartment.  I think it was the same man I saw when it was warmer down at the service station on the corner with his shirt off bathing and shaving out of a bucket. My heart aches and tears come to my eyes when I see the wind chill warnings and admonitions to be safe, stay inside, and to keep your pets safe and warm.  Here are human beings living in card board boxes under the overpass or anywhere else they can hide.  It makes me feel so grateful for my bounteous blessings: good health, family and friends, the food on my table, and the warmth and safety of shelter.   I want to help but at the same time, I feel helpless to know how to help these needy people who for whatever reason, have no place to go.  New York City has warming shelters around the city where people can go to get warm.  I hope that the man I saw with his portable home finds one of these shelters.

The wind chill alerts sent out.


I can tell you it was a mighty cold wind.
Had a missionary call worried that she got frostbite when she filled her car's gas tank.
She wore gloves. She is ok. Frost nip not bite. Fingers will be ok. It only took 3 minutes!
The temp on my car when I picked up my 91 year old friend to take her to church.
When I got in an started it it was 1 degree. This was 25 minutes later it was 3 degrees.
Homeless man's possessions. He was between the houses rummaging through the trash cans.
Looking out my window.

Thinking about what part I can play in helping the needy and poor made me think of a talk given by Elder Russell M. Nelson way back in 1986.  I don't know why I remembered this except that I think it was part of a lesson I once gave in Relief Society.  Thought I'd share a part with you:

"Although reasons vary according to time and place, the poor and the needy have nearly always been present. Regardless of cause, our Heavenly Father is concerned for them. They are all his children. He loves and cares for them.

Lessons from the Old Testament remind us that when the Lord sent prophets to call Israel back from apostasy, in almost every instance, one of the first charges made was that the poor had been neglected.

Scriptures teach us that the poor-especially widows, orphans, and strangers-have long been the concern of God and the godly. The poor have been especially favored by the law. Old Testament teachings authorized poor persons at harvest time to glean after the reapers. At fruit-picking time, what was left hanging on branches belonged to the poor.

To those who cared for the poor, blessings were promised. The Lord would deliver them in time of trouble. (See Ps. 41:1.) Truths were taught by these proverbs: "He that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he." (Prov. 14:21.) "The righteous considereth the cause of the poor: but the wicked regardeth not to know it." (Prov. 29:7.)

During the Savior's earthly ministry, he reemphasized his timeless concern for the poor. Remember the reply the Lord gave to the question of the rich man: "If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell [all] that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." (Matt. 19:21; see also Luke 18:22.)"

Today in Sacrament Meeting, we sang a favorite hymn:  A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief.  The words speak to my heart:

1. A poor, wayfaring Man of grief
Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay.
I had not pow'r to ask his name,
Whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye
That won my love; I knew not why

2. Once, when my scanty meal was spread,
He entered; not a word he spake,
Just perishing for want of bread.
I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,
And ate, but gave me part again.
Mine was an angel's portion then,
For while I fed with eager haste,
The crust was manna to my taste.

3. I spied him where a fountain burst
Clear from the rock; his strength was gone.
The heedless water mocked his thirst;
He heard it, saw it hurrying on.
I ran and raised the suff'rer up;
Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,
Dipped and returned it running o'er;
I drank and never thirsted more.

4. 'Twas night; the floods were out; it blew
A winter hurricane aloof.
I heard his voice abroad and flew
To bid him welcome to my roof.
I warmed and clothed and cheered my guest
And laid him on my couch to rest,
Then made the earth my bed and seemed
In Eden's garden while I dreamed.

5. Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.

6. In pris'n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor's doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.
My friendship's utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, "I will!"

7. Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named,
"Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto me.

Text: James Montgomery, 1771-1854
Music: George Coles, 1792-1858, alt.

In the Doctrine and Covenants we read: "Ye must visit the poor and the needy and administer to their relief" (D&C 44:6). And: "Remember in all things the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted, for he that doeth not these things, the same is not my disciple" (D&C 52:40).

I am going to try my best to help in any way that I can.  The missionaries are teaching the people poor in spirit about Jesus Christ and helping them come unto the Savior.  I can do my part in these efforts by helping the missionaries with their health.  I can reach out to people in my ward and neighborhood who need help.  I can fast and pay a generous fast offering so that the Church can send aid to people and countries in need.  I can only make a minute contribution to the needs of the world but I can do as much as I am able.  I pray that the Lord will show me the way to help more and in whatever way I can.

I miss you and love you my family and friends.

Hanging on my wall where I can look at them many times a day. My greatest treasure!!
The corner vegetablefruit stand had asparagus for $2 a bundle.
Couldn't resist that taste of spring. Delicious.
My turn for main course FHE dinner. I got a pork loin at Costco so
I ordered a meat thermometer from Amazon. Want to make sure the roast is done!!
John, my brother, drove school bus in Las Vegas so
I always think of him when I see a school bus. I like the company name on this one.
From Google:

Pupil Transportation Services 

The State Education Department has oversight responsibility for school district provision of pupil transportation services to resident pupils attending public and nonpublic schools. Approximately 2.3 million pupils, or ten percent of the nation’s pupils, ride our 50,000 school buses each day. The 2008-09 statewide cost of services is approximately $2.8 billion with state aid of $1.5 billion. The Department processes 5,400 contracts and extensions annually for the delivery of services by private contractors. District owned school buses provide approximately half of all services and private school bus contractors provide the other half.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. I love you! You are a great example in service and helping those in need.

    ReplyDelete