Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Wow! Where to start?

Wow! Where to start.  Last Monday night we walked to Maca, the Peruvian restaurant where we went for my birthday, to celebrate Elder Duke's birthday.  It was 17 degrees and with the wind, it felt like 0 degrees according to the weather app.  It was chilly and I think I can say that winter has officially arrived.  We've had no snow but plenty of rain.

I think this was Wednesday. Not sure but whichever day,
Sandy and NYC were about the same temperature.
 
Tuesday I spent at the mission home again helping Anthea with food for the departing missionaries and laundry.  I stayed to hear the testimonies of the missionaries.  It was also a surprise to see my cousin's (Dorothy Ballard) son and wife who came to pick up their son. It was a nice to meet them.  I'm sure that I had met them at family reunions before but it has been since forever.  It was also a spiritual pleasure to hear the testimonies of those missionaries who had just spent 18-24 months serving the Lord.

Wednesday evening, I was blessed to go with the Sisters again to visit Ruma, the lady from India. She is so pleasant and excited about the Gospel and desirous to learn.  She wants to come to church but with the time of Sacrament Meeting changing to 9:00 this year, it is difficult for her to make it that early.  It will be interesting to me to see if see comes.

Friday was mission leadership training so I went to the church to help with lunch.  It is wonderful to be around these great people!!  I know I sound like a broken record. My weeks are much the same but my love for the missionaries and the Gospel is constantly changing and growing.

I have helped, or tried to help, with the usual back aches, foot pain, headaches, nausea and vomiting, and runny noses just mention a few things.  One of the diabetics had his insulin pump stop working Sunday morning so between church and "nursing business" I was busy. 

Sunday evening I went to dinner at Anthea's home.  I met her older and younger sisters, her niece and 2 nephews, a neighbor, and her mother.  Anthea is from Donimica.  She promised me a West Indies dinner and I got it.  I was stuffed. The table was spread with food.  I didn't want to offend by taking a picture but Anthea sent me home with a plate of food so I have included a picture of that. I truly enjoyed myself.  Her mother is a sweet woman.  They are tall, long legged women.  Her niece is 8 years old but taller than her almost 12 year old brother.  The mother is in her 80's and is very thin.  She is beautiful but very primitive looking.  It was like looking at a picture in National Geographic.  Very nice family.

I posted this once before but just wanted you to see Anthea.
Sample of my dinner with Anthea.
Turkey, fish with carrots and veggies baked on top, beans, quinoa
with spinach, rice, pasta and a vegetable that will lower your
blood pressure. I can't remember the name.
Dessert was this chocolate cookie.
The thin, crisp inside layers tasted like sugar cones.
I haven't traveled the mission this week except to go out on Long Island a short way to the mission home in Port Jefferson.  As you know, I love to Google and to learn more about the places I go so I googled my home area of Rego Park.  I actually got the following information from a real estate newsletter.  I am always interested in the architecture of the areas I see and the price of homes.  I know.  I am weird!!!

The mission home in Port Jefferson.
"Rego Park, in central Queens, takes its name from a 1920s construction company,  Real Good Construction.  The name comes the first two letters of the first two words of the company's name. (Re Go). The company was big back then for building detached wooden homes that sold for $8,000. These railroad homes had 12-by-8-foot patches of front lawn, thin driveways and formal entryways topped by pointed wooden or stone triangles. Some look like little castles." In the article it states that many people come to Rego Park because it is a good place to raise a family. If you would like to learn about the community from the realtor's point of view and read about the cost of houses then and now, you may do so HERE.

Rego Park homes. Many don't have drive ways.
They are narrow, close, stand-a-lone homes
Railroad house with 8 X 12 front garden and narrow drive.
This home has bricked the lawn area.
Rego Park has a large Jewish community and of course a most diversified culture with people of many other nationalities.  From Google:  "Rego Park is built on a swamp called the Hempstead Swamp, which once extended to St. John's Cemetery in Middle Village. By 1653, though, English and Dutch farmers moved into the area and founded a community called Whitepot, which was a part of the Township of Newtown. Whitepot is believed to be so named because the original Dutch settlers named the area "Whiteput", or "hollow creek"; later, English settlers Anglicized the name. The Remsen family created a burial ground, which is still located on Alderton Street near Metropolitan Avenue. The colonists also founded the Whitepot School, which operated until the late 19th century.

In the Hempstead Swamp, which turned out to be good for farming, the colonists cultivated hay, straw, rye, corn, oats, and vegetables. The original Dutch, English, and German farmers sold their produce in Manhattan; by the end of the 19th century, though, Chinese farmers moved in and sold their goods exclusively to Chinatown."

I hope you don't mind that I share the things that I find interesting. It is fun learning about different areas and the history as well.

I'm onto a new and glorious week here in Rego Park, NY.  I love the Lord and am so honored to be serving in this area.

I love you my family and friends.
Sister Jenkins and Sister Maddox. Sister Maddox went home on Wednesday.
Sister Anderson and Sister Jenkins.
I was fascinated with this tree root.
Sister Anderson, my new neighbor, got in the pic to give perspective.

I'm trying to eat less food and LESS chocolate. I saw this bag at Costco.
I didn't buy it but "3X" dipped!!  I was sorely tempted but my resolution prevailed.
I sent the pic to my sister who told me that she had tried them and they really weren't that good.
The chocolate tasted waxy. Whew! I can quit thinking about them.
Good morning Manhattan.
Sunshine and clouds.
Every morning I pass this garden on the side of a home. The little figures make me smile.
This home owner has invested much time and care in creating this spot.


Cabbage in full bloom.

1 comment:

  1. I always love your posts. That cute little garden at the end reminded me of Aunt Jessie's garden and how cute she always made everything look. You are doing a great job. Love always, Peggy

    ReplyDelete