Monday, December 7, 2015

An Instrument In His Hands


I truly enjoy sitting in a room full of missionaries!!  They exude enthusiasm, love, and the  Spirit.  I’ve been blessed to sit amongst them four days this week.

There are eleven zones in our mission.  We had Mega-Zone Conferences on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Each day three zones came together to meet for training and to receive “Black boxes” in the cars they drive. (There will be one next Tuesday for the last two zones.)

Most missionaries walk but there are about 40 cars in our mission.  The black boxes are devices that monitor the driving habits of the drivers.  It tells them in a robotic voice if they are speeding or being reckless and reports this along with the time of day to a computer system which sends reports to the mission vehicle coordinator and President Reynolds. 

The missionaries are not really excited about this.  The speed limits in New York are very low and EVERYONE drives fast.  The missionaries are complaining because everyone, including white haired grandmas, (They aren’t referring to me of course.) are passing them and they feel that they are creating a driving hazard driving so slowly.  They may end up adjusting the boxes for this hazard but I’ll bet they won’t adjust it to the speed that the normal traffic goes.

I was asked by President Reynolds to take 20 minutes and talk about the holiday and winter season when people easily get depressed and blue and how to keep their spirits up.  I talked about the importance of proper nutrition, exercise, rest, and cleanliness.  I gave them a handout that included more detail about each of these topics. I focused most of my talk on relying on the grace of the Lord and keeping a positive attitude.  I used parts of a talk given in April Conference 2014 given by Elder Bednar. It had a great impact on me because it was just six months after Kay died and it gave me hope and courage to do the things in this life that I needed and wanted to do.  If you would like to, please take to the opportunity to read "Bear Up Their Burdens With Ease".

I also talked about having an attitude of gratitude.  In my Sacrament Meeting last week, the 29th of November, my bishop gave a talk about gratitude.  He challenged each of us to keep a gratitude journal.  At the end of each day, we are to write down three things for which we are grateful.  At the end of the month we are to read back over the blessings we enjoy.  He also challenged us to write and mail a letter, on paper-not an email, to a person who has had a positive impact on our lives. Writing this letter would help us and the recipient.  Doing these things helps us to focus on the positive things in our lives. 

I made this same challenge to our missionaries.  Since then I have had several missionaries tell me that they already do that and that it does help them to stay positive.

I then talked a little about Christmas and homesickness and loneliness.  I read a story entitled “My Last Christmas in the Mission". It is a few stories into the article.

The last thing I shared is one of my favorite quotes of the season which I know some of you have heard me read or use in Christmas programs.   It is a quote.  From the words of President Spencer W. Kimball: “Though we make an effort to follow the pattern of gift giving at Christmas time, sometimes our program becomes an exchange—a gift given for a gift expected.

Of the Savior's service, and His example to us, President Kimball goes on to say: "Never did the Savior give in expectation. I know of no case in His life in which there was an exchange. He was always the giver, seldom the recipient. Never did He give shoes, a scarf, or a vehicle; never did He give perfume, a shirt, or a fur wrap. His gifts were of such a nature that the recipient could hardly exchange or return the value.

His gifts were rare ones: eyes to the blind, ears to the deaf, and legs to the lame; cleanliness to the unclean, wholeness to the infirm, and breath to the lifeless. His gifts were opportunity to the downtrodden, freedom to the oppressed, light in the darkness, forgiveness to the repentant, hope to the despairing.

His friends gave Him shelter, food, and love. He gave them of Himself, His love, His service, His life. The wise men brought Him gold and frankincense. He gave them and all their fellow mortals resurrection, salvation, and eternal life. We should strive to give as He gave. To give of oneself is a holy gift."

The zone conferences were in different areas of the mission so I drove to Woodside, Lynbrook, and Patchogue.  It was raining cats and dogs again the day I went to Patchogue but one of these days before my mission ends, I’m going to be there on a dry, sunny days.  Woodside is close to where I live in Elmhurst/Rego Park.  It is a most diverse neighborhood. Lynbrook is (Brook- lyn with syllables reversed) 85% Irish.  The area is marshy and wooded.  At least the drive I took to get there looked that way.  It is a beautiful neighborhood with mostly stand-alone homes.  There are some high rise apt buildings but I liked the area. 

Friday I attended a leadership training meeting for zone leaders, district leaders, sister training leaders, etc.  I didn’t participate but just enjoyed the missionaries.  I am such a tease that I enjoy making them laugh.  I also like to be available to talk to them and to get to know them and build trust with them.

After the meeting I got a haircut.  Sister Duke and Sister Prince go to a shop just around the corner and they suggested I go these. I liked the beautician.  She is from Bulgaria.  She has two children and has been here for eleven years.  She speaks really good English with a delightful accent.

Saturday, I went to the Temple.  I went solo and I was a little afraid of getting lost but I made it both ways with no problem.  It was a great day.  They don’t have as many sessions as other temples because there is only room for one session at a time.  I got there in time for the 12:30 session which was in Spanish so I had to wear the headphones which is not a problem.  The temple is beautiful.  All ordinances except baptism are on the fifth floor.

Manhattan Temple

In front of the Temple.
I did have an interesting thing happen on the way from my apt to the subway. There is a park with benches along the sidewalk.  Sitting on one of the benches was a man probably in his late forties, early fifties.  He had his shoes off and was sunning his stockinged feet.  I always try to smile and say hello to people as I pass.  When I said hello to him, he beckoned me to come talk to him. He apologized for showing his feet but said they hurt so he liked to get them cold so they would hurt less.  His name was Louis and he was from Cuba.  His English was pretty good but he still had a heavy accent.  We talked for a few minutes and he asked me about my name badge.  I soon found myself sitting on the bench next to him.

I told him about the church and what I was doing.  He said that he had talked to other young missionaries before.  I asked him if I could have missionaries come and teach him about our church in his language.  He was reluctant and wouldn’t commit to that so I invited him to come to the Spanish speaking ward. I told him where the church is and he said he went there once with the missionaries. 

He wanted to talk about how we are all Gods children and he wanted to call me his sister.  We talked a few more minutes about our families.  We talked about eternal families and his mother and father whom he left in Cuba and has not seen for a long time.  I could feel the Spirit and it brought tears to my eyes.  He asked me if I felt the Spirit when he saw my tears.  He said he cries when he feels the Spirit too.  He told me that he felt God had directed me to come by at that time and to talk to him.  

I again tried to get him to let me send or bring the missionaries to him to teach him in Spanish.  He was still reluctant to do that but said that he sits on that bench almost every day between 9:00 and 11:00 in the morning and he would look for me to come talk to him again.  It was a wonderful experience.  I will try to talk to him again and to bring the sister missionaries who live upstairs along with me.  They speak Spanish.

I know that the Lord directs his work.  Along with caring for the missionaries,  I pray that I can be an instrument in His hands to help people find the Savior and to help them learn how to return to His presence again.

I am so blessed to have my eternal family.  I love my husband and children and grandchildren more than words can express.  I am so blessed to be able to be here on this mission and to be able to serve in any capacity that I can.

I love you my family and friends.

I love poinsettias. I'm beginning to feel the Christmas spirit.

My tree.
Christmas music is my fave!
Progresso is not too fattening and is quick and easy but....
Soup gets boring so on Friday night, I cooked myself a dinner.
It had been so long I almost forgot how delicious a baked potato can be!
I liked the flowers in these planters on a neighbor's door step.

Geraniums in December. The little purple flowered plant on the ground is cabbage.
I see many ornamental cabbages here. They are pretty.
This is a train underpass through which I walk on my morning walks.
I've learned that you had better not be in that tunnel when two
siren- blaring fire trucks rumble through. I couldn't hear for an hour afterward.
Well, at least for five minutes!!
I can't resist the city pics. The morning was bright and beautiful.

The bridge we cross on our morning walk over the train tracks.

The stairs to the bridge gets my heart rate up. Looking down my street
from the stairs to the bridge.
The Church has an  "A Savior is Born" initiative going on. In Times Square there are billboards and
videoboards promoting Christmas messages through out this month. 400 taxis also promote the church.
I found this one parked on the street in front of my apt. I didn't have time to go to Times Square
on Saturday but I plan to get there before Christmas.
This deli looked inviting but I will save it for another day.
Sidewalk fair near Central Park.

Flea market sidewalk market at Central Park.


Monument or statue at entrance to Central Park.
Looking down Columbus Avenue.

Lights on trees in front of Trump Tower.
Lights on trees in front of Trump Tower.


Looking up at Trump Tower.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading all about your experiences. Your new haircut looks great. XO

    ReplyDelete