Tuesday, September 10, 2024

My LAST week in the mission field

 


It has been a fun and memorable week! Monday Sister Barker needed to take some mattresses to Gold Beach which is just under 4 hours south on the coast. So Elder Barker loaded the mattresses into the truck and they invited Sister Caras and me to go with them since the office would be closed for Labor Day. Sister Caras was so excited to get her first view of the coast.

Sister Caras was not disappointed. We all had an enjoyable day. We delivered the mattresses and then took the elders to lunch at a BBQ restaurant next door to a veterinary clinic. The sign gave me a laugh when I wondered where the BBQ secured their meat. (JK everyone. That is really a gross thought!! My sick mind in overload. LOL)


As we returned to Eugene, we stopped at Bandon because it is a favorite for all of us. My family came to stay for 5 days in June. Sister and Elder Barker had their family come in July. Sister Caras now plans to have her family come next summer. 

Sisters Barker and Caras


Bandon Beach


We walked along the harbor and enjoyed the sights and sounds. The flowers caught my attention most. 




North Bend is a lumber mill town. As you can see, the logs are stacked along the river/railway waiting for shipment.




All of the health calls were transferred to Sister Caras on Monday and I was nearby for the rest of the week to assist if she had questions. 

Tuesday was transfer day. We received 21 new missionaries and 8 finished their mission this week so 60% of the missionaries moved location and got new companions. The transfer van, truck and trailer met the northern transferred missionaries at the office early in the morning and then made the rounds of the mission dropping off and picking up missionaries at their newly assigned areas. The missionaries who would be training the new arrivals were brought to Eugene to meet their new companions on Wednesday.

I spent the day, Tuesday, in the office with Sister Caras exchanging information and training. It was a productive day. She is an excellent nurse. The missionaries already love her.

I was honored with a gift from Elder Stockman. If you have followed my blog, you know that several months ago, Elder Stockman called me asking what to do for an upset stomach. I gave him my usual response which included the question: “What have you eaten?” He replied that he had eaten some hot dogs. I don’t remember the exact conversation except he asked if Pepto Bismol would help. I advised that if he had some it may help with the upset stomach. He sent me the following picture and wanted to know if this would do the trick??


Pepto Bismol has become a “running joke theme” for our mission relationship. He brought me a jello concoction made with jello and Pepto Bismol instead of water in one layer and hot dog water with the jello in the next layer. Of course a hot dog was concealed in the creation.



I tried to remove it from the dish but it had sat out too long and fell apart but you get the idea. He is a fun-filled character!

Wednesday was arrival day for the new missionaries which includes lunch. The trainers come for a training session at ten. Normally, the new missionaries arrive between 12:30 and 1:30 but their flight was delayed leaving SLC for 3 hours. The trainers waited and waited and waited. 



Sister Bullock was happy even while waiting

The pilot developed a relationship with the missionaries while they waited for their flight. He requested a picture with them when they arrived in Eugene.


When they finally arrived at the stake center, it was a joyous time. Lunch was served. 

Sister and President Hopkins




Interviews began in shifts while some ate and some interviewed. I interviewed the first missionary so Sister Caras could observe. We had already gone over this but it is always helpful to see it in real life. 21 missionaries going from President Cornelius or first counselor in the mission presidency, President Hopkins, to Elder Crump for financial set up, to Elder Barker for car/driving information, to Sister Caras for health information and also for pictures. At the end of the day, Sister Caras’s words: “I’ve never seen such organized chaos! But I loved the spirit I felt” I couldn’t have expressed it better myself.

Because I wasn’t interviewing, I could mingle and enjoy the company of the missionaries while they waited for their turn. I didn’t get to my apartment until after 7:00 PM. It was a long and beautiful last transfer/intake of missionaries. 

Thursday the departing missionaries attended the temple with President and Sister Cornelius. I spent a couple of hours in the morning with Sister Caras helping her to be prepared for the weekly report due on Saturday. I had a lot to do to get my apartment ready to vacate, so Sister Caras “shooed” me out and told me she would call if she had questions. 

I cleaned my fridge, oven/stove, and microwave. I emptied closet shelves and drawers in my bedrooms and brought things upstairs except for the clothes hanging in the closets. I had quite a stack in my living room. I took a few things to Good Will for donation which lightened my load considerably. 

That evening was the departing missionary dinner at the mission home. President served his smoked brisket and Sister Cornelius made cheesy potatoes and coleslaw. Sister Crump brought chocolate cake and ice cream for dessert. Followed by a devotional and pictures.


Elder Pratt

Elders Asay, Weber, Trotter, Bousfield

Elders Trotter, Bousfield, Yardley



President and Sister Cornelius

Elder and Sister Crump complete their mission in just over 3 weeks so they will be departing soon as well.


In the morning Friday, I went to the office for an hour or so to help Sister Caras prepare for the report due each Saturday. When she felt comfortable, I left to continue preparing to leave.

The low tire pressure light had been coming on in my car. On Tuesday, Elder Crump checked the pressure on my tires and they were all a little low but the back passenger side was quite low. He dragged a compressor out of the shed and filled all the tires to the designated pressure level. Friday morning, the warning light appeared again so after leaving the office, I went and got my tires checked so I would be ready for the drive home. There was a screw in the back tire passenger side that was removed and the tire repaired. WHEW! It cost me an hour waiting for my turn to get into the shop but they didn’t charge me and I feel secure about a long distance trip beginning on Monday morning.

When I got back to my apartment, I brought up bedding from the closets downstairs and I prepared and loaded my pictures and other things decorating my upstairs into boxes and suitcases. When all was gathered, I began to load my car. I got the trunk filled with 3 suitcases and then stuffed loose things in every conceivable space. 



Sisters Zollinger and White asked if they could take me to dinner since I had treated them so many times so Friday evening we had Thai food at Ubon Thai Kitchen. It was delicious and I had excellent dinner companions. They would not let me pay. 


Saturday, I cleaned the bathrooms, polished and dusted the furniture, cleaned and vacuumed the floors, cleaned the mirrors and well, I don’t need to elaborate further. You know what a deep clean involves. I loaded my clothes from the closets into the back seat of my car along with other things that I couldn’t fit into the trunk. My car is FULL!!!!


Before I leave on Monday, I will add to the back seat, the overnight bag and things that I couldn’t pack until the last minute.

I did take a lunch break to eat with some missionaries from the Santa Clara Zone.

Sisters Emett and Thomas and Elders Peatross, Sanford, and Serrano

Saturday evening I went to a baptism with Sister and Elder Crump in Springfield. What a wonderful way to end a mission- a baptism.

I’ve enjoyed my last week of Willamette River and Meadow Lark Prairie walks with gorgeous sunrises and visits with the roses, Waldos (herons), ducks but no geese. They must have already taken flight. 





Saturday I walked with Elder and Sister Crump from Alton Baker Park past the University Stadium and then over to the river and back to the park. I’ve seen a few people fishing from time to time but Saturday morning there was quite a party. 






Sunday was a sad day as it was my last meeting with the ward I have attended for the past 18 months. I hugged a lot of people and promised to come visit again soon. I do want to return when the temple is completed next year.

Sister and Elder Crump invited me to dinner at their apartment. It was great to be with them and the Barkers, Sister Caras and the Karrens. I’ve made long-lasting and bestest friends here.

Elder and Sister Barker, Sister Caras, Sister and Elder Crump, and Elder and Sister Karren

Because it was my “farewell” dinner, I was served a favorite dessert. I love a peanut butter cup with extra peanut butter cup blizzard at Dairy Queen so I was served a peanut butter cup with extra peanut butter cup cake for my treat. What thoughtful friends!!


I am having such a difficult time saying goodbye to my mission family but I look forward to being with my family again. My daughter, Deanne, and I have been discussing how much we miss having a dog in our home so yesterday she got us a puppy. Meet Luna, an English mastiff. She reminds me so much of my Luther who passed while I was serving in New York. It will be fun being with family again soon.


With these mixed feelings of sorrow at leaving the mission life and joy at returning home, my cousin sums it up well. This week my cousin who writes poetry and is a photographer sent me an email that brought me to tears with his beautiful talents. I’d like to share it with you. Thank you Steve Bailey. You are loved.


Your Tender Feelings

Sister Petersen, the tender feelings you
get when you pause and think of all the
things that touch your heart.

The tender feelings you remember
of the things you experienced
while serving the missionaries.

The tender feelings you remember 
While participating in meetings
and zone conferences with
leaders who taught you the
fundamentals of ministering.

The tender feelings you remember at
gatherings and lunches with
the missionaries. 

The tender feelings you remember when
you hug the new arriving missionaries,
and the ones leaving and remembering all
the wonderful things you have done together.

The tender feelings you remember of
your morning walks along the river and
the beauties of the things around you.

Serving the Elders and Sisters bring back
all these tender feelings because you pause
to think of all the things that
touch your heart.

 Steve Bailey 2024


My heart has truly been touched. I am blessed beyond measure. Let me conclude with my testimony that I know my Savior has shown me the way to return to the presence of my Father in Heaven. He has made it possible through His sacrifice of life and through His Atonement. He knows my needs and He knows my trials. I am blessed with the gift of the Holy Ghost. Through covenants made at baptism and in the temple, I am assured of eternal life if I follow the path shown by my Savior and taught by our prophets and through the words of the Book of Mormon. I must choose the right and live my life to the best of my ability. I am blessed to live at this time when the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth through the prophet, Joseph Smith. I know that Russel M Nelson is the living prophet of our day. If you have doubts or questions, I invite you to earnestly pray about it and seek guidance and inspiration. 

I love my Savior

I love you my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment